HDL WS 5L KNX Outdoor Doppler Sensor

Resensioner av produkter som testats av knxforum.
ullberg
Kontakt:

HDL WS 5L KNX Outdoor Doppler Sensor

Oläst inlägg av ullberg » 02 jan 2018, 19:55

Spin off from test request from HDL

Part 1: First impressions

Part no: HDL-M/WS05.1-A, Link to manufacturer page
IMG_6691.JPG
The sensor came in one of the more comprehensive packages I’ve received with a lot of protective foam, don’t know if this is an indication that the sensor is more fragile than the average device, but regardless nice to see some effort on that front.

There are two cable inlets, one for bus and one for the 2x floating contact inputs. Inlets are made of metal with rubber seals tightened with a captive nut, believe these will keep water out. The sensor as a whole has a small seal to keep water ingress out, don’t see any reason it would not do so. On the less positive side the plastic seems a bit thinner and simpler than many other manufacturers, time will tell if this is a problem.

The mounting bracket is quite simple and made of sheet metal, I personally prefer this layout to more integrated plastic brackets (e.g. ABB/B-J Busch-Watchdog) although it of course does not look as ”streamlined”. It also came with concrete expanders, not sure I feel that needed to be included, I’m always expecting to sort the fastening myself, but of course doesn’t hurt to get included.
IMG_6693.JPG
It does not use standard (Wago) KNX connectors but rather screw terminals, for devices like this thats perfectly fine by me although I don’t quite understand why not use the de facto standard.

On the technical specifications this sensor has quite a lot to offer in addition to motion detection:
  • Lux sensor
  • Constant brightness
  • Humidity
  • Temperature
  • 2x dry contacts

To get e.g. dry contacts is a really good bonus imho, you never know when such are needed, one usecase I can see is to connect it to a tipping bucket water meeter to get an even more comprehensive outdoor sensor. What I’m less impressed with on the specification side is the working temperature, it is advertised as an outdoor sensor but operating temperature is only listed to -5 to 45 degrees C, not covering all conditions here in Sweden at least. I will report back as soon as I’ve had it mounted for some time to see if it can survive our wether conditions.

This was the end of the first post on this sensor. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to find the KNX database so I cannot test this device further until I’ve received an answer to the email I’ve sent to HDL. I hope to be able to get back to you soon…

/U

ullberg
Kontakt:

Re: HDL WS 5L KNX Outdoor Doppler Sensor

Oläst inlägg av ullberg » 18 feb 2018, 09:42

Part2: config and settings

In general: quite extensive configuration possibilities, good, although it sometimes makes it hard to get an overview (but that is almost always a trade-off and I prefer it this way). wording in parameter view is ok but could have included a couple of more descriptive lines given the amount of settings

Config and settings:
Pretty standard and not missing anything I would like, you can set the sensitivity of the microwave sensor, offset/compensation for temp and humidity and some settings for the dry contacts that I have yet to work out what they actually control. It also has heartbeat telegrams (not sure if I see necessary but ok) and two constant brightness functions (see below). I can of course publish sensor data on bus, either based on change (with defined thresholds) or cyclically - I’m here missing the option to send both cyclically and on significant changes, many of my other sensors have this ability.

Standard operations:
As far as I can understand, you need to use the logic blocks (see below) to enable even the simplest motion detection, i.e. all outputs are configured through the logic blocks. This means that there is a slightly higher threshold to get started, not as simple out of the box config, although I believe that the base config was just to switch based on motion detection (I’ve fiddled around so much with the config that I don’t recall the original settings). The only operation that does not require a logic block are the constant brightness functions. I haven’t tested as and see limited use of such functions for outdoor use, but there are the settings I would expect and a couple I can’t quite work out the meaning of, e.g. how dimming speed function is defined, I understand conceptually what it means but can’t work out the formulas I have to choose from...

Logic function:
It has 5 logic blocks, can’t complain about the settings, think it has all you would and should expect - apart perhaps then from a simpler interface for ”standard operations”. If you don’t have a central controller (i my case a HS which I use for all logic operations) this could turn out to be really useful, especially on a ”multi-sensor” like this that could need quite extensive logic before triggering. Input to logic is as expected the sensors (including the dry contacts) and you canals have two external telegrams per block. As expected you enable or disable the sensors & telegrams, set a logic operator (AND / OR) and define the output - up to 10 outputs can be defined. there are 9 possible types of outputs, of course switching and dimming but also string, scenes sequences etc. All in all, seems very competent, if 5 blocks are sufficient is up to the user but I think it should be more than enough for most use cases.

All in all I give thumbs up for the application, fulfills all my needs, except for both cyclically and change based transmission of sensor data.

Operations:
So far the sensor has worked well, but as I mentioned in the original post, the data sheet specifies a lowest operating temp that does not meet standard winter temps in Sweden, so far so good, but this year (& where I’ve live) it has only been colder a couple of times this winter.

So this concludes the review for now but I might get back to this review if it get really cold outside.

/U

PS: the computer I’m running ETS on is on it’s last legs so I haven’t been able to take ETS screenshots, is that interesting / do you want that? if so I’ll try to fix

Skriv svar